Assalamu Alaikum Waraghmatulaahi Wabarakatu
I greet you with the universal greeting of peace
We have reached the half way mark and truthfully I have not even come close to achieving all that I intended to for this auspicious and holy month. Islam is truly a path of struggle and striving and it is in reality a battle within. The greatest Jihaad will always and forever be the Jihaad of the nafs. As we are now looking towards the last 15 days I have to strengthen my resolve for a loser is the one who lets this month pass without reaping any reward.
Speaking of rewards. One of the rewards I loved as a child was the traditional cup (or in my case the bowl because I’m greedy like that) of boeber (a warm sweet beverage/dessert) on the 15th night of Ramadan. It is a tradition in my family to not make this treat prior to the 15th night. So as kids we would hold out and not “eat agter die bak” just so that you could in earnest enjoy the reward of having reached the 15th day and “be op die berg”. Like my mom I also don’t make this dish until the 15th of Ramadan and as a working mom I made mine yesterday so that my family wont have to wait to have theirs this evening. I usually guesstimate ingredients as I tend to not make large quantities.
- 3 Fattis and Monnis Vermicelli nests
- half to three quarter cup of sago soaked in 2 cups water for approximately an hour
- 50 grams butter or margarine
- 4 sticks of stick cinnamon
- 4-5 cardamon pods
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1.5 liters of long life milk
- 6 tbsp sugar
- In a medium pot melt butter or margerine on a medium to high heat
- Add stick cinnamon, cardamon pods and vermicelli nests and brown slightly until golden brown (be careful not to burn)
- Add 1L of milk and stir continuously until mixture heats up and starts to boil
- Strain excess water off sago and add to mixture stirring throughout the cooking process
- Add vanilla essence and sugar and continue to stir
- Cook for approximately 30-45 minutes until sago is translucent adding the remaining 500ml milk and continuously stirring until done
- Sprinkle with some coconut
- Serve in a cup or bowl as desired
- Some people add rosewater instead of vanilla essence
- You may also add sultanas and or flaked almonds
- You may also add some evaporated (ideal milk) for a richer sweeter taste
- Sugar may also be replaced with condensed milk
I hope that the next 15 days will be productive for all those who are fasting.
Shukran for reading, until next time.